Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok


Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok

6 - 3
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok (Pollok win 4-2 on penalties)

2 - 2
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok

Full highlights from Mark Donnelly:

Key moments from Mark Donnelly:

Post-match with Maxi:

Pollok travel to Beechwood Park this weekend to face Auchinleck Talbot. Both teams will be keen to move closer to the top two in the table.

Last week, Pollok left Ayrshire with a 4-0 win over Hurlford in league business. Meanwhile, Talbot were in South Challenge cup action as they swept aside Broxburn Athletic, 7-0. The two clubs are separated by 3 points, with Pollok sitting in 3rd in the league table, Talbot 4th with a record of 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Talbot have four games in hand on league leaders Darvel. Talbot are unbeaten in their last five matches played in all competitions. 1-0 win over Johnstone, 3-1 win over Cambuslang, 3-0 win over Largs, a 2-0 victory against Petershill followed by last week’s cup win.

The last match between our clubs was a 1-1 draw at Newlandsfield in October last year, Jonathan Lyon the Pollok scorer. Pollok don’t have a great record against Auchinleck, with Talbot unbeaten in the last nine games, winning seven. The Lok’s last victory came on May 19th 2018 when we left Beechwood with a 2-1 win.

Talbot are one of the renowned names of Scottish non-league football, they have won the Scottish Junior Cup a record 13 times, the first in 1949 and last in 2019. They have been managed by Tommy Sloan since 2003.

2 - 1
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot vs. Pollok

Highlights from Mark Donnelly:

Goals from Mark Donnelly:

Post match with Murdie:

Match Report by: Peter Thomson

After an unkind draw Pollok travelled to Beechwood Park to face Auchinleck Talbot in the pick of the quarter final ties in the South Challenge Cup. The league games between the pair this season having produced a pulsating 3-3 draw and a dull 1-0 win for Talbot. Not surprisingly this game was to fall somewhere in the middle of those two in terms of entertainment.

Pollok made four changes from the insipid draw with Hurlford the previous week. Sideserf, Esplin, Horne and Fraser all returning to the side with Menzies, Dykes, Duff and Forde dropping out.

A frenetic opening period saw tackles flying in and misplaced passes as both teams looked to impose themselves on the game. The importance of the match adding an edge and a nervousness.

In the 14th minute Pollok had their first sniff of goal. A long throw from Wharton was flicked on by McGregor and Fraser’s header from six yards out went over the bar.

The home side’s first sniff at goal came midway through the half and was a whole lot closer to opening the scoring. A corner from the left led to a bit of a stramash before a low shot was sent goalwards. Horne just managed to get a foot to it on the goal-line and deflected it onto the post. When the ball was recycled into the box another low shot was pushed round the post by Longmuir.
Minutes later another Pollok long throw brought about a great chance. This time it was a Talbot defender who flicked on and Fraser didn’t get the connection he was looking for from six yards out allowing Leishman to make a comfortable save.

Pollok threatened again with a sweeping move which went from right wing-back, Grant to left wing-back, Lyon and back again. Grant blasting over the bar from a tight angle having beaten his man on the edge of the box.

The second half started with the away side on top although a misplaced header by Esplin gave Samson a sight of goal and Longmuir had to pull off a smart double save to twice deny the striker.

Pollok took the lead in the 57th minute from a set-piece. Forde’s in-swinging corner from the right headed in at the near post by Grant.

Minutes later Pollok almost doubled their lead. Another Wharton throw into the box was flicked on to Forde who controlled it on his chest before executing a beautiful overhead kick which flew inches over the bar with Leishman beaten.

Then with just over 20 minutes to go came the moment which swung the match in the home side’s favour. A triple substitution by Sloan saw Talbot bring on Shankland, Boylan and Wilson and they immediately set about putting the Pollok defence under pressure.
In the 75th minute a good pass out to the right found Shankland in acres of space. He looked up and played the perfect low cross to Samson who slide home the equaliser from six yards out.

Minutes later a similar move – this time from a free-kick – saw Samson put his attempt just over the bar as Pollok started to defend deeper and deeper. In a portent of things to come Shankland then slipped Samson through but his attempted lob was weak and just fell into Longmuir’s hands.

With three minutes to go a fairly aimless looking ball over the top was missed by the Pollok defence and Samson nipped in to slip a tidy finish from a tight angle past Longmuir.

Pollok mounted a bit of late pressure in search of an equaliser but their only effort on target was a Forde free-kick which a well-positioned Leishman saved comfortably.

Having given the large travelling support such hope with 30 minutes to go it was ultimately a crushing disappointment to go out the cup. After an even first half Pollok had been the better team in the opening of the second half and deserved to be ahead but they just couldn’t see it through against a Talbot side transformed by the triple substitution. So Pollok’s first attempt at the South Challenge Cup was ended at the quarter final stage. They will hope to go further in future years.


It’s back to South Challenge Cup action this weekend for Pollok and a trip to Beechwood Park to face Auchinleck Talbot.

We have now reached the Quarter Final stage of the tournament having beaten Vale of Clyde 4-0, Harthill Royal 2-1, Clydebank 2-1 and in the last round beating Lowland League side, University of Stirling 3-1.

Talbot have dispatched Forth 1-0, West Calder 7-1, Irvine Meadow 3-1 and finally Caledonian Braves 3-1.

Last weekend Pollok were held at home 1-1 against Hurlford which gave Talbot the opportunity to regain top spot in the WoSFL Premier Division, duly taken when they beat Bonnyton Thistle 3-0.

Pollok don’t have a great recent record against Talbot, our last win coming back in 2018 at Beechwood Park. Six games have taken place between the teams since, with Talbot winning five and then the 3-3 draw that took place earlier this season at Newlandsfield. The last match between the teams was on February 12th at Beechwood Park when Talbot won 1-0 in the league.

2 - 1
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok

The goal from Mark Donnelly:

In arguably the biggest non league game of the day in Scotland, Pollok travel to face Auchinleck Talbot in a top of the table clash at Beechwood Park.

Both sides have been in good form this season and this could be a defining game in who goes on to win the league.

Last week, Pollok travelled to Clydebank in the South Challenge Cup, and beat the hosts 2-1, goals were from Ryan McGregor and Evan Horne.

Talbot’s match against Irvine Meadow in the South Challenge Cup was postponed, giving Talbot a free weekend after a busy run of Cup games. Talbot have 5 matches in hand, with Pollok 11 points clear. They have a record of 17 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats in the league so far.

If the game is anything like the last meeting then neutrals and fans alike will be in for a treat. On October 2nd, last year, the clubs fought out a 3-3 thriller. Pollok raced into a 2-0 lead, goals from Forde and McGregor before Evan Horne was sent off on 35 mins. Talbot then came back to make it 2-2 at half time. McGregor then scored a penalty early in second half, only for Brownlie and Forde to see red with 20 minutes to go. Talbot equalised in the final minutes. As the 8 men in black and white held on for a point.

Beechwood Park will have segregation in place for Home and Away supporters. Pollok fans should park in Highouse Industrial Estate and should enter ground through Gates 6 and 7. Alcohol and Pyrotechnics are prohibited and only guide and assistance dogs will be allowed in ground.

1 - 0
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok

Highlights from Mark Donnelly

League leaders Pollok travelled to Beechwood Park to take on the defending champions Auchinleck Talbot in Matchday 11 of The McBookie West Region Premiership. Pollok showed six changes from their Scottish Cup win up at Forres as the manager shuffled the pack in an attempt to stop the Auchinleck Talbot juggernaut.

Auchinleck started the game full of purpose and forced some early corners as Pollok struggled to get out of their own half playing into a strong headwind. It was from Auchinleck?s third corner in the sixth minute that McCracken was able to rise unchallenged and send a powerful header into the net to give the home side an early lead.

Pollok managed to work their way into the game and created a few half chances with Fraser and Stuart McCann being just unable to find the correct connection to trouble Leishman in the home goal.

The game had a bit of ebb and flow to it as the clock hit the twenty minute mark and Auchinleck mounted another attack. McLauchlan appeared to have snuffed out the danger with a robust challenge in which he appeared to get the ball. However, referee Chris Gentiles, decided he had taken too much of the man with the ball and awarded a free kick twenty two yards out. Shankland stepped up and delivered a powerful, curling right foot shot round the wall and into the top corner of the net.

Auchinleck remained the dominant side until the interval and Lumsden had to produce a number of saves to keep the score at 2-0. With the game becoming increasingly niggly the referee?s half time whistle was a bit of a relief.

Pollok started the second half with much more intent and should have scored in the 50th minute. In a very rare lapse, the Auchinleck defence allowed a long ball to evade them and Duff was clean thru in the inside left channel with only Leishman to beat. His low shot though was pulled wide and the onrushing Dallas couldn?t quite manage to squeeze it home at the far post.

Moments later a good run and cross by Stuart McCann was deflected towards goal by a backtracking Auchinleck defender and Leishman had to make a smart save to push it round the post and prevent an own goal.

With the game now a bit more end to end Auchinleck had their own near miss when a flowing move ended with a back post header skimming the bar after a delightful cross from the right.

On the hour mark Auchinleck broke up a Pollok attack on the edge of their own box and moved swiftly up the park. Pollok had a couple of opportunities to get a in a challenge before Sideserf managed a scuffed clearance from just inside the area. Unfortunately for him the ball broke to an Auchinleck midfielder who laid the ball off perfectly for left back Pope who had time to measure his shot and rifle it into the top right hand corner from twenty five yards.

Pollok kept going and were rewarded with a goal from substitute Esplin. A free kick was floated into the box and Gallacher headed down for Esplin who provided a neat finish past Leishman. It was to prove to be the end of the scoring despite further half chances at either end.?

Auchinleck were deserved 3-1 winners and in so doing completed a full year unbeaten in the league. It is unlikely there has ever been such a well drilled and consistent team in the history of Scottish Junior football. Their biggest strength is they have no weakness. For Pollok it was a third league defeat of the season but the first where you would have to acknowledge they were beaten by the better side. ? ?


3 - 1
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok

Congratulations to Gary McCann on his 100th appearance in this game!

Goals from Mark Donnelly

2 - 0
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok

Video thanks to Mark Donnelly

FT Talbot 1 Pollok 2 – A brace from Gary McCann hands the Lok three points to finish the league campaign

Second Half is underway

HT Auchinleck Talbot 1 Pollok 2

31′ 1-2. The Lok re-take the lead through Gary McCann!

18′ 1-1. Talbot equalise through Gordon Pope.

9′: 0-1. Gary McCann makes it 1-0 to Lok

1 - 2
Full Time

Auchinleck Talbot v Pollok


Footage courtesy of Mark Donnelly

Scottish Junior Cup

Saturday 17th February 2018, Beechwood Park

Match report by Mark Donnelly

For the second consecutive season Pollok?s dreams of Scottish Junior Cup glory were dashed at Beechwood Park as the local Auchinleck Talbot triumphed 4-1. The visiting ?Lok almost took the lead in fortuitous circumstances during the opening exchanges, Liam Rowan?s cross-cum-shot landing atop of home custodian Andy Leishman?s crossbar. A frantic 120 second spell saw the homesters break the deadlock in the 19th minute. Bryan Wharton & Jordan Longmuir combined to give Talbot an indirect free-kick from 8 yards out for a breach of the passback rule. This was subsequently charged down and diverted over the bar for a corner.

From the flurry of following flag-kicks, ex-?Bot hero Bryan Young was adjudged by arbiter Duncan Williams to have impeded Stephen Wilson unfairly resulting in a spot-kick. The infringed man dusted himself down to despatch past the reach of Longmuir, despite the goalie diving the right way. Talbot doubled their lead three minutes before the interval, the ball was worked across from the right wing to Gordon Pope who unleashed a howitzer from 30 yards which beat Longmuir all ends up.

Auchinleck came close to making it 3-0 early in the second period, Mark Shankland rattling the woodwork from a free-kick. Pollok pulled a goal back in the 83rd minute, Del Hepburn?s corner to the front post was met by a diving header from Young to guide the ball home. Any hope the visitors had of restoring parity and setting up a grandstand finish were dashed 60 seconds later. A driving run from Jamie Glasgow through the heart of the ?Lok rearguard saw him finish adeptly across Longmuir?s dive.

Glasgow made it a brace in stoppage time, Stephen Wilson?s effort bounced kindly into his path leaving him with the relatively straightforward task of rolling into the empty net, Longmuir having already committed himself to the initial shot.

Match officials

Referee: Duncan Williams

AR1: David Milton

AR2: Alastair Taylor

4 - 1
Full Time