League: Scottish Junior Cup

Irvine Vics 1 Pollok 2 (game abandoned in stoppage time)

Both Irvine Vics and Pollok were ejected from the Scottish Junior Cup and fined £500 following a stoppage time abandonment.


After a couple of good results in the league, Pollok travel to Victoria Park, Irvine for a cup game with Irvine Victoria.

The last round of the Scottish Junior Cup, would see Pollok put 7 past Maybole, this was the start of a five game win streak, including wins over Darvel, Clydebank and Kilwinning in the league.

Irvine Vics have not had a great start to the season, however they won their first game of the season at the weekend, beating Johnstone 3-1, goals from Sean Cryans and a double from Shane Jackson sealed boss Dougie McDuff’s first win as Vics manager having been appointed in June.

With that win, Vics have moved up a position in the WOSFL Conference A, now sitting 14th with a record of won 1, drawn 1 and lost 12, 20 goals scored and 45 conceded.

Irvine Victoria were formed in 1901, they joined the ranks of the juniors in 1904 with their colours being tangerine and black. The clubs last trophy was in 2014 when the became Ayrshire District League champions.

The last meeting between the clubs ended in a 2-1 win for Pollok in a league match on 9th May 2015 at Victoria Park in the West Super League First Division.


Pollok vs Maybole

Att: 406
Highlights from Mark Donnelly:

After reaching the semi-finals of the 2019/20 Scottish Junior Cup with a 5-0 win at Neilston in the driving snow Pollok had hoped their next game in the competition would be the semi-final. Unfortunately the global pandemic put paid to that and a first round tie against Maybole at a damp and overcast Newlandsfield turned out to be the next chapter in the club’s cup history. Three changes from midweek saw Lumsden, Wharton and Stuart McCann come in for Longmuir, Bradley and Forde.

Pollok started on the front foot against their visitors from Conference A of the West of Scotland League and took the lead in the fourth minute. Good combination play between Horne, Weir and Grant down the right saw the latter’s cross fall to Lyon. He took an excellent first touch and fired towards goal. His powerful strike was blocked but pin-balled off the unfortunate Reid and into his own goal.

With incessant rain coming down the pitch was slick and Pollok were passing the ball about with aplomb. With quarter of an hour gone they doubled their lead. Grant’s deep cross was volleyed back across goal by McKenzie where McCann was on hand to supply a simple finish.

As the home side continued to dominate a sparkling move down the left saw McCann cross for an unmarked Lyon but his side-foot finish crept agonisingly wide of the post. Pollok’s third duly arrived five minutes before half time. Horne played a free-kick to Grant who checked inside his opponent and curled a low shot into the far corner.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first. Sideserf producing an accurate long pass in the fiftieth minute which allowed McCann to beat the offside trap. He was able to poke the ball beyond the outrushing Semple who then clipped the Pollok striker. The referee pointed to the spot. McGregor took command of the situation and coolly slotted the ball home from twelve yards.

The chances continued to flow and the next goal came just before the hour mark. Lyon teed up Esplin whose low drive from twenty two yards was saved by Semple but Weir was on hand to drive home the rebound.

Lumsden was called on to make two saves in quick succession as Maybole looked for a consolation. However it was the Southsiders who would add to their tally. After a sustained attack which hemmed the Maybole defence in Sideserf had a shot which was deflected out for a corner. When Horne swung the corner in Graham was on hand to knock the ball over the line from close range. 

More chances followed before Pollok produced a fine move to finish the scoring off with just over ten minutes to go. A lovely passing move involving Esplin, McKenzie, Graham and Sideserf saw them advance to the edge of the Maybole box. Sideserf’s low cross picked out Forde in splendid isolation eight yards out and he made no mistake.   

It was a comprehensive win for the home side whose reward is a second round trip to another Conference A side – Irvine Vics.

Goals from Mark Donnelly:
Saturday will see a return of the Scottish Junior Cup, as we welcome Maybole to Newlandsfield.
Pollok had a midweek draw at Newlandsfield with Largs and will be hoping to get back to winning ways on Saturday. Maybole were also in action midweek as they travelled to face Whitletts Victoria and were also held to a draw, as the game finished 2-2. Maybole came from 2-0 down, as goals from Euan Smith and Robert Patterson secured the point, to extend Maybole’s unbeaten run to four games.
Maybole currently sit 9th in the WOSFL Conference A Division, with a record of 4 wins, 1 draw and 3 defeats in their 8 games so far, having scored 14 and conceding 13 goals. Formed in 1946, they are based at Ladywell Stadium, they have been managed by Carlo Walker since 2014, their colours are maroon and white. The club’s last trophy was the Ayrshire District League in 2012.
Both clubs don’t face each other too regularly with the last meeting coming back in 2015 when a 3-0 home win for Pollok came on the day the club lifted the league trophy as we gained promotion back to the West Super Premier League having spent a season in the West Super First Division. Pollok will be hoping there is no repeat of the last Scottish Junior Cup meeting when Maybole travelled to Newlandsfield and left Glasgow with a 1-0 win in 2000.
The winner of this tie will travel to Irvine Victoria on September 25th in the second round.
7 - 0
Full Time

Neilston v Pollok

Match footage from Davie Brown & Mark Donnelly

Duff nets a second (84) before the Farmer’s Boys pull one back from the spot (85). Final score 4-1.

Stuart McCann makes it 3-0! 71 minutes played.

Chris Duff puts Lok firmly in control by doubling the lead in 68 minutes.

After a goalless first half, Adam Forde gives Lok the lead on 52 minutes.

1 - 4
Full Time

Pollok v Fauldhouse Utd

Highlights from Davie Brown and Mark Donnelly

Goals from Davie Brown

A second for Russell, this time from the spot, and Lok go four clear late on and it finishes 4-0

75 mins gone and Iain Russell has made it 3-0 to Lok.

Stuart McCann makes it 2-0 to Lok on 57 mins.

Chris Dallas has given Lok the lead at half-time, scoring in the 20th minute.

att: 747

4 - 0
Full Time
2 - 1
Full Time

Linlithgow Rose CFC vs. Pollok

Goal action from Davie Brown & Mark Donnelly

Full highlights from Davie Brown & Mark Donnelly

After a trip north in the 2nd round Pollok headed east in the 3rd round of the Scottish Junior Cup for a first ever match against Linlithgow Rose Community FC. The game was played at the impressive Prestonfield ground which was bathed in sunshine throughout.

Pollok made three changes from the previous week?s defeat to Hurlford with Russell, Fraser and Coutts in for Duff, Forde and Boyle. The first five minutes set the pattern for the whole game with Linlithgow happy to sit in and frustrate Pollok.

With Linlithgow keeping their shape superbly Pollok?s hopes of a break-through were dealt a blow in the fifteenth minute when Gary McCann had to go off injured. Pollok had lost their wingman who could have provided the trickery required to unlock the stubborn defence.

Despite almost constant pressure Pollok created few clear cut chances. The best fell to Russell who blazed over after a cute dummy from Stuart McCann. Fraser then had a free kick go just over the bar. The Linlithgow keeper was a busy man but it was mainly taking goal-kicks and picking up errant crosses rather than making saves.

On one of Linlithgow?s very few forays into the Pollok half they won a corner which Lumsden had to fist away and the first half ended goalless.

The second half was very much like the first. Pollok?s chances suffered a further blow when Stuart McCann had to go off injured in the sixty-fifth minute. He was replaced by Grant Evans and in the ensuing reshuffle Tony Coutts was pushed forward into midfield.

As time was passing and chances thin on the ground the frustration was growing amongst the away support and Pollok needed to find something. In the seventy-fifth minute Danny MacKenzie felt that need and decided it was a need for speed. Playing almost as a left winger he kicked the ball past the right back and ran round the other side of him to collect the ball on the bye line. It was the first time Pollok had really got at a defender. Although Forde?s shot from MacKenzie?s cut back was blocked it showed Pollok could get in behind, it gave the away support renewed hope and put a seed of doubt in the tiring Linlithgow defence.

The breakthrough finally arrived in the eighty second minute when a long cross from Evans was taken out of the air by Forde with a touch and turn that Dennis Bergkamp in his pomp would have been proud of. Forde then showed the type of awareness the Dutchman possessed to calmly square the ball to allow Coutts to slot home from eight yards. It was a rare moment of genuine quality.

In the ninetieth minute Fraser and Forde combined superbly to set Russell through. The first defensive challenge forced him a bit wide but he put the brakes on and the defender went flying into a second challenge which took Russell out. As clear a penalty as there will be in the Junior Cup this year. Russell took the penalty himself and coolly slotted into the bottom right hand corner.

Linlithgow Rose will take the plaudits from the game but ultimately it was their cup hopes that crashed and burned. For Pollok it was job done but another couple of worrying injuries added to the collection. With the Fourth Round draw to look forward to there was one other bit of good news for Pollok. Due to results elsewhere there was a re-shuffle of fixtures for Saturday the 2nd of November with Pollok?s trip to Rutherglen replaced with a home game against Kilwinning. A first game at Newlandsfield for 42 days. Peter Thomson


Live updates:

90: Iain RUSSELL from the spot concludes the scoring and secures Lok’s passage to the next round. 2-0 FT.

82 mins: Tony COUTTS gives Lok the breakthrough! (1-0)

Another Lok change – Evans on for S. McCann

Into the second half…

The sides go in at the break all square

SUB: Early blow for Lok with Forde on for G. McCann

0 - 2
Full Time