5 - 1
Full Time


As Pollok took on Kilsyth Rangers in their third home game in five days the pitch looked in superb condition despite the heavy workload and the persistent downpours of recent times. Much credit should go to all those involved who have worked so hard in recent years to improve the surface. It has been a job well done.

The first half produced few chances with Forde firing just wide from a great McCann flick on and Fraser missing a good opportunity when following up a Forde drive which came back off the keeper being the most noteworthy bits of goal mouth action. The main talking points come half time were some of tackles launched into which had gone beyond meaty and crept into the naughty category.

What the 1st half lacked in goals the 2nd half made up for. It started in the 50th minute when Forde intercepted a square pass in the Kilsyth defence and fired home an unerring shot to give Pollok the lead.

It was a lead which would only last for two minutes as Kilsyth?s Higgins responded with a truly magnificent strike. Picking up the ball not too far from the home dugout he set himself and unleashed an unstoppable right foot drive from fully thirty-five yards into the top right hand corner. A diving Lumsden never stood a chance. It was the goal of the match and an early contender for goal of the season.

Kilsyth were not level for long though as five minutes later good work by McKenzie and Morton down the left led to an inviting cross which Fraser converted from an acute angle at the back post. Pollok kept their foot on the accelerator and a few minutes later Henry produced a great bit of ball winning in the middle of the park and set off on a decoy run which helped Morton to exhibit some great close control in twisting and turning the defence before firing home from the edge of the box.

Pollok were now starting to dominate and another bit of ball winning in the opposition?s half ? this time by Esplin ? allowed Morton to once again show off his creativity and his low, driven cross was converted with ease by Forde. Then in the 72nd minute Fraser stepped up to expertly place a twenty yard free kick into the bottom corner. 5-1 to Pollok. The sixth goal in a frenetic twenty two minute period.

Although that was to be the end of the scoring it was not the end of the talking points. Fraser managed to get himself booked twice in the space of ten seconds ? first for kicking out whilst being held after the ref had already blown and then for a bit of back chat to the ref.?

Kilsyth?s Reid joined Fraser in taking the early walk off the pitch after picking up his second yellow in giving away a penalty for a mistimed challenge on Forde just inside the box. Forde stepped up confidently but his shot from twelve yards hit the base of the left hand post. Forde had one further chance of his hat-trick after another good McCann flick on but his powerful drive was well blocked by the goalkeeper.

So Pollok moved on to a semi-final with Lanark after a resounding victory brought about by an up-tempo second half display. Kilsyth battled hard and although their goal only turned out to be a consolation it will live long in the memory for all who were there to witness it.

Att: 289

Goals from Davie Brown & Mark Donnelly

Highlights from Davie Brown & Mark Donnelly

72 – Shaun FRASER rounds off the scoring and 21 crazy goal-packed minutes (5-1) though he is later sent off

64 – As the goals fly in, FORDE makes it 4-1

62 – Jordan MORTON makes it 3-1

57 – Shaun FRASER restores Lok’s lead (2-1)

52 – Kilsyth immediately back on level terms (1-1)

51 – Adam FORDE opens the scoring for Lok (1-0)

Goalless at half-time

Full quarter-final draw is:

Auchinleck Talbot v Whitletts Victoria
Lanark United v Rutherglen Glencairn
Pollok v Kilsyth Rangers
Renfrew v Beith Juniors


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 14, 2019 18:45 West Region Sectional Cup 2019-20 90'


Newlandsfield Park
3 Newlandsfield Rd, Glasgow G43 2XU, UK