6 - 0
Full Time


The goals from Mark Donnelly:

Full highlights:

Murdie’s post-match thoughts:


After an absence of fourteen years Pollok returned to the Scottish Cup with a preliminary round game at home to Girvan. With the club having attained licence status with the SFA entry into the Scottish Cup will be an annual occurrence from now on.

The crowd of 608 were once again treated to some Newlandsfield sunshine as the teams took to the pitch. Pollok made three changes from the previous week’s South of Scotland Challenge Cup win over Eglinton. Captain Brownlie returned from injury and Esplin and Lyon were restored to the midfield. Missing out were MacKenzie, Duff and Buchanan, one of the hat-trick heroes from that win.

Pollok were shooting down the slope in the first half and pinned Girvan back in the early stages. Burns was getting forward down the left and one of his cross was just inches too far in front of Forde to allow the striker to get it fully under control.

Minutes later a superb cross-field pass by Mullen found Lyon. His cross was met at the near post by Forde but his effort went wide. Pollok’s next attack came down the right and led to a penalty appeal. Christie got himself to the bye line and cut it back for Dykes. He appeared to get to the ball first before being clattered by a defender but the referee clearly felt the defender got the ball and waved play on.

After another Forde shot which was deflected wide and a near miss for McCann from the corner Pollok suffered an almighty double scare at the other end. A free kick was swung in from the touchline and then head back into the box. Mullen stretched his neck muscles to get a touch on it but could only head it towards the top corner of his own goal. Frustratingly for Girvan Longmuir got his fingertips to it to touch it over the bar for a corner. From the set-piece which was delivered low to the near post Girvan’s striker fired in a shot which hit the bar.

Whether these narrow escapes give Pollok a jolt or not is hard to say but they certainly responded well. In the twenty-second minute another nice passing move saw Dykes find Lyon whose pass was perfectly weighted for Burns as he advanced into the box. His low cross found McCann who slotted home from six yards out.

With their next attack the home side almost scored again with Burns being denied by a wonderful save from the keeper as he powerfully headed a Christie cross towards goal.

The lead was doubled in the 25th minute. Mullen produced another excellent delivery from a corner on the left and found McCann unmarked at the back post. He scored his and Pollok’s second with an incredibly clever header which looped over the keeper and into the net.

Just after the half hour mark Longmuir once again had to be on his toes to tip a header over the bar at full stretch and then Girvan had a penalty claim of their own when Brownlie blocked the ball with his arm whilst on the deck before the Girvan striker fired wide.

Pollok then extended their lead in the 37th minute with a move very similar to the first goal. However, this time when Burns burst into the box to latch on to a Lyon pass he felt no need to cross and lashed in a low drive off the far post.

It was Girvan who finished the half on the attack with Longmuir diving to push a long range effort wide of the post but there was no doubt which team had been the more clinical and Pollok deserved their 3-0 lead at the break.

The first attack of the second half saw McCann show fantastic persistence to keep the attack alive before crossing for his strike partner, Forde, whose shot was blocked. Minutes later it was 4-0. Lyon passed to Burns – a familiar theme in the moves that led to goals – and his low cross from the bye line was missed by Christie but McCann was on hand to tap home for his hat-trick.

After Girvan passed up a glorious chance of getting on the scoresheet with a free header which went straight at Longmuir Pollok went up the park and scored again. Burns picked the ball up in midfield and curled an inviting, angled ball into the box. Forde’s first touch took him away from the defender and his second was an accurate finish from a tight angle. It was Burns’ third assist of the game to go with his goal. A very useful contribution for the defender.

Burns was also involved in Pollok’s sixth and final goal just before the hour mark. His first time pass found Christie in behind the defence and his cross was side footed home by Lyon.

The pace and intensity went out of the game a bit on a warm afternoon as the substitutions broke up the flow of play. Girvan created one more great chance with a brilliant quick breakaway which saw their sub have a sight at goal but he shot straight at Longmuir.

The Southsiders’ best chance of the closing period came from a long ball from Longmuir. The ball broke to MacKenzie who delivered a tempting cross toward the penalty spot. McCann left it for Duff whose volley was just off target. And so the home side ran out 6-0 winners for the second Saturday running.

A successful return to the “big” Scottish Cup for Lok and into the first round proper where they will face Huntly at Newlandsfield. Only six more wins needed for a trip to Hampden for the semi-finals. We can but dream.

Att: 608

With only hours to go, Pollok welcome Girvan to Newlandsfield in the preliminary round of the Scottish Cup.

Yes! The actual Scottish Cup!

It’s been a long wait but the ‘Lok are finally back in one of the oldest football tournaments in the world. 2008 was the last time the club played in the tournament in which we went down 1-0 away to Spartans in a replay. This will be the third time we have entered the Scottish Cup.

Pollok entered the Scottish Cup for the first time in 2007, we got off to a winning start down in Kirkcudbright as we dispatched St Cuthbert Wanderers 6-2. We then had a second round match away to Montrose, in what was Pollok’s first competitive match with a Scottish Football League side. A 2-2 draw would see the first Scottish Cup action take place at Newlandsfield as we held the replayed match. Montrose would go through after a 1-0 win in Glasgow in what was a closely contested match, with Pollok having a goal controversially disallowed.

Girvan were founded in 1947, the club were members of the South of Scotland League until 2004 before moving to the Junior ranks. This meant Girvan could take part in Scottish Qualifying Cup every year and since the Scottish Cup reorganisation in 2007 have taken part directly in the tournament each year. Girvan have been South of Scotland League Champions on one occasion in 1990 and the South of Scotland League Cup winners on four occasions.

Nowadays, Girvan find themselves in the West Of Scotland Football League Divison 3, they currently sit 7th in the table, with three wins and two losses from their opening five games.


Date Time League Season Full Time
August 27, 2022 15:00 Scottish Cup 2022-23 0'


Newlandsfield Park
3 Newlandsfield Rd, Glasgow G43 2XU, UK


Harry Bruce