Dalry Thistle 0-3 Pollok

New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup - First Round

Saturday 15th October 2016, Merksworth Park, Dalry

Pollok ensured their name would be in the hat for the second round draw of the West of Scotland Cup after a 3-0 victory over Dalry Thistle at the latter’s Merksworth Park.


‘Lok took the lead with their first meaningful attack of the game, Kieran McAleenan’s quick throw-in allowed Liam Rowan in behind the defence to drive a ball along the corridor of uncertainty, Davie Winters on hand to tap in at the back post.


The homesters first sighter came via David Gillies, who lost his footing while turning to shoot wide from 20 yards.


Del Hepburn’s clever chip over the top of the home rearguard saw Winters denied by the onrushing Dalry custodian Scott Watson.


The lead was doubled in the 19th minute, Tam Hanlon sending a free kick over the wall and into the bottom right hand corner of the net from the edge of the area.


A low drive from Hepburn, easily gathered by Watson, and a free-kick dragged wide by McAleenan were the last two Pollok chances of note in the opening 45 minutes, while Dalry had efforts via a thumping volley from Robert Boyd, a half-volley by Kyle Cumming, and a Shaun Lavery header, none of which threatened Jordan Longmuir in the visiting goal.


A Chris McGowan Jr. hit from 30 yards curled just over the junction for the home side, before the ‘Lok had a sustained spell of pressure.


A driving run by Gary McCann on the wing saw him cut back to Hepburn, who could only fire straight at Watson, while moments later Rowan had a similar opportunity with the same result.


The ‘Lok defence then set up a counter-attack from a Thistle corner, which ended with Colin Williamson slipping through to McCann, Watson’s legs coming to his sides rescue.


Dalry’s best chance of the half came when Cumming set Mark Archdeacon in behind the visiting rearguard, he could only drag the ball wide of the upright.


Watson’s poor clearance fell to the feet of Rowan, who played a one-two with Hepburn, the ‘keeper though was able to redeem himself by blocking with his legs.


The scoring was completed in the 71st minute after Winters was adjudged to have been felled by Watson in the area, Mark Sideserf sending the goalkeeper the wrong way with the resultant spot-kick.


Hepburn latched onto a loose ball, sending his chip over the bar, while at the other end Gillies headed over from a McGowan Jr. free-kick.


The last goalmouth action of the game came in stoppage time, Winters header from a Sideserf cross was gathered by Watson.



Dalry Thistle:- Watson, Brown, McGowan Jr, Boyd, McGowan Snr, Lavery, McLaughlin (12: Loughlin 77), Stewart, Gillies, Cumming, Archdeacon (14: McFarland 85)

Subs not used:- 15: Peletier (only 3 subs named)

Bookings:- Brown (19), Stewart (20), Lavery (59), Watson (70), McGowan Snr (73), McGowan Jr (79)


Pollok:- Longmuir, Hanlon, Sideserf, Gallacher, McCabe (12: Walker 77), Williamson, McCann, Rowan, Winters, Hepburn (14: Daly 77), McAleenan

Subs not used:- 15: MacKenzie, 16: Evans, Gk: Lawton

Goals:- Winters (9), Hanlon (19), Sideserf (71 pen)

Bookings:- McCabe (42), Rowan (55), Daly (77), Walker (78), Williamson (90)