Pollok 3-1 Irvine Meadow

West Premier Super League




Pollok defeated Irvine Meadow XI for the first time in three attempts this season, taking the spoils after a 3-1 victory at Newlandsfield Park.

The homesters got off to the best possible start taking the lead after only 40 seconds. Colin Williamson’s powder puff shot was gathered by Graeme Shepherd in the Meadow goal, who them proceeded to make a hash of his roll out, putting full-back Graham Girvan under pressure. Allan MacKenzie pounced on the loose attempt at the passback to round the ‘keeper and score.



Winters first sighter of the game, the striker cutting inside his marker and slicing wide.


Monti gave Shepherd the opportunity to redeem himself after the visitors failed to clear their lines, the goalkeeper fingertipping the frontman’s kick around the upright.


Parity was restored in the 7th minute, Robert Halliday’s free-kick was spilled under pressure by home custodian Jordan Longmuir to a grateful Paul Maxwell who fired home.


‘Lok looked to restore their advantage, and Davie Winters was almost the hero in the next attack, a free-kick being cleared into his path, but his volley went straight down Shepherd’s throat.


Winters did get his goal in the 16th minute, a Monti free-kick seemed to foozle the Medda defence, who let the ball bounce on the bye-line to an on-hand Kevin Bradley to cross to the back post, where Winters headed in from close range.


Meadow had the next two significant chances, ex-'Lok man Ryan Deas failed to concern Longmuir significantly with his 20 yard grounder, whilst a swift counter-attack carved the Pollok rearguard open, Stuart McCann only able to find the side-netting.


A Longmuir kick from hands was flicked into Winters path by the head of MacKenzie, the marksman unable to find the target.


Monti was next to test Shepherd, the goalkeeper again denying the ‘Lok man, palming his free-kick around the post.


The last two chances of an enthralling 45 minutes both fell the way of the Ayrshire side, Gary McCann’s cross was met by the head of Paul Gallacher, the ‘Lok skipper having his blushes spared by an alert Longmuir, before Kevin Rutkiewicz nodded wide from a Deas corner.


Click on an image to view the gallery:

The second half had less in the way of goalmouth incident, Adam Strachan first to threaten for Meadow, slashing wide from distance.

Monti then had two chances for his side, Bradley’s driving run setting him up to lash a first time shot over, before a well worked set piece routine saw him shoot wide from a Tam Hanlon corner.

Meadow were reduced to ten men in the 83rd minute after a bit of needle between Gary McCann of Medda and Chris Walker of ‘Lok saw the visitor swing an arm out at his host, leaving arbiter Ronnie Strain the duty of issuing McCann with the order of the march.

Deas’ had a pop with a free-kick, which was dealt with by Longmuir, while an 86th minute Hanlon free-kick brought about the final goal of the afternoon. The full-back’s effort bounced in front of Shepherd who could only guide the ball into the path of Gallacher who was on hand to stab the ball into the back of the net.

A miserable afternoon for Meadow was completed two minutes later when Deas was sent to the pavilion for his second booking after a tussle with Bradley.


Pollok:- Longmuir, Hanlon, Sideserf, Gallacher, Walker, Frye, Bradley, Williamson, D. Winters (17: Higgins 89), Monti (15: R. Winters 71), MacKenzie (14: McLennan 89)

Subs not used:- 12: McCabe, 16: Hepburn

Goals:- MacKenzie (1), D. Winters (16), Gallacher (86)

Booking:- Williamson (10)

Irvine Meadow XI:- Shepherd, Girvan, Halliday (12: Wilson 64), Evans, Rutkiewicz, Murch, G. McCann, Deas, Maxwell, S. McCann (14: Hall 81), Strachan (16: Fraser 72)

Subs not used:- 15: Bolton, 17: Barr

Goal: Maxwell (7)

Bookings:- Murch (34), Rutkiewicz (62), Deas (68, 88), Fraser (79)

Sent off:- G. McCann (83), Deas (88)