Arthurlie 3-1 Pollok

West of Scotland Superleague

Dunterlie Park, Saturday 5th September 2015


A sensational opening nine minutes saw Arthurlie ensure all three points remained at Dunterlie Park as they defeated Pollok 3-1.


The scoring was opened after 47 seconds, Chris Dallas picking the ball up at the edge of the Pollok penalty area and firing a beauty into the top corner.


The same player doubled the lead before the clock had ticked over to 100 seconds, capitalising on some catastrophic ‘Lok defending to net from close range.


The visitors pulled a goal back in the 4th minute, a ball from the left hand side was tucked away by Davie Winters from six yards.


The homesters almost notched again when Gary Carroll rose highest to head off the outside of the back post.


Carroll restored the 'Lies’s two goal cushion in the ninth minute, being given time and space to drill home from 20 yards via a slight deflection.


John Sweeney came close to reducing his side’s arrears after a corner was cleared to him at 25 yards where he fired a swerver with the outside of his boot which ricocheted off the crossbar.


The upright came into play again soon after, Winters left foot curler from the edge of the box clipping the top of Michael White’s woodwork.


White had to be alert after Tam Hanlon’s deep free kick from his own half was nodded into Findlay Frye’s path, his first time header was straight down the Arthurlie custodian’s throat.


Winters set Sweeney up for another shot which White gathered at the second attempt, before Allan MacKenzie pounced on the goalkeeper as he dithered over a backpass, teeing up Winters, but White recovered well to redeem himself.


At the other end, Conor McGlinchey curled a free kick off target, while the home side’s last chance of the half came from David MacKay’s slide rule pass to Dallas, the striker’s poor first touch denying him the chance of a hat-trick.


Kieran McAleenan had Pollok’s final opportunity of the opening 45 minutes when he was in the right place to get on the end of MacKenzie’s cut back from the bye-line, his effort an easy take for White.


Carroll almost gave his side a similar start to the second half as they had in the first, his overhead kick looping high of the target after only 40 seconds.


Pollok’s opening opportunity came via Hanlon’s cross to Winters who headed narrowly wide.


Yet another chance came off the upright when Rhys Devlin’s cross was tipped onto the crossbar by Jordan Longmuir, the same player then fired a free kick well over with Arthurlie’s next meaningful attack.


Eddie McTernan was next to have a dig for the home side, the ball sitting up invitingly for him to lash off target.


The chances were coming end to end at this point, McAleenan’s front post corner being headed wide by MacKenzie, while McTernan hit a solid low drive which Longmuir did well to palm away.


The last two threats the ‘Lok had on goal came initially with a Sweeney grounder which was comfortably held by White, and then a McAleenan corner which the home custodian had to show great agility to claw away from danger.


A miserable afternoon for Pollok was completed when arbiter Craig Napier objected to comments made by Del Hepburn and immediately sent the striker to the pavilion.




Arthurlie:- White, Devlin, McGlinchey, Rushford, Tart, MacDonald, McTernan (16: Blakey 85), McGregor, Dallas, Carroll (15: Maxwell 90), MacKay


Subs not used:- 12: Burns, 14: Gair, 17: Holmes


Goals:- Dallas (1,2), Carroll (9)


Bookings:- Rushford (49), Carroll (54)


Pollok:- Longmuir, Hanlon, Sideserf, McCabe (16: Gallacher 46), Walker, Frye (12: McLennan 69), Hepburn, Sweeney, Winters, MacKenzie, McAleenan


Subs not used:- 14: Wild, 15: Williamson, 17: Bradley


Goal:- Winters (4)


Bookings:- Frye (31), McCabe (39), Gallacher (67), Hanlon (87), Walker (90 + 1)


Sent off:- Hepburn (87)