Pollok 1-2 Petershill

Sectional League Cup

Newlandsfield Park, Wednesday 26th August 2015


Petershill advanced to a Sectional League Cup semi-final clash with Kirkintilloch Rob Roy after a 2-1 victory over Pollok at Newlandsfield Park.


The homesters’ Allan MacKenzie had the earliest scoring opportunities of the game, the first coming when a free-kick from deep fell to him, and was subsequently blocked by some brave defending. The same passage of play saw Peasy goalkeeper Stevie McNeil’s attempted clearance ricochet off his own defender, James Brough, back into MacKenzie’s path. His attempted loft over McNeil was scooped away by the recovering ‘keeper.


Del Hepburn was next to create for Pollok, his ball into the corridor of uncertainty was just out of the range of Findlay Frye who was sliding in to meet it. The ball was eventually cleared back out to Hepburn who fired wide from distance.


Petershill punished their hosts’ wasteful finishing when they took a 25th minute lead, Kieran McAnespie’s cross from the left wing was met just inside the area by Michael Daly, his controlled volley giving Jordan Longmuir in the ‘Lok goal no chance.


Once more though it was Pollok who were on the offensive, MacKenzie failing to divert a Kieran McAleenan cross on target with his header. 


Hepburn set up another chance for his side, his cut-back to Davie Winters saw McNeil called into action, blocking with his legs, before John Sweeney and Winters combined to tee up MarkMcLennan who blazed over.


A misplaced pass out wide left the Pollok rearguard exposed to a Peasy counter-attack, Stephen McGladrigan playing through to Daly, Longmuir’s legs ensuring the 'Lok custodian came out on top on this occasion.


The lead was doubled in the 35th minute when McGladrigan stole in behind the home defence to beat Longmuir to the ball and slide the ball underneath him.


The home side reduced the arrears with the last action of the half, Hepburn showing some neat footwork on the halfway line to give him space to send MacKenzie through, the striker keeping his composure to net.


Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges of the second period, McAnespie having two long rangers, one an easy take for Longmuir, while the other, a looping volley, dipped over the crossbar.


The game opened up in the final twenty minutes with ‘Lok still looking to restore parity. Despite this it was the Springburn side who had the next two efforts, Darren McLean’s cross to the back post saw a weak downward header from Daly fail to cause Longmuir any real concern, while James Brough curled a shot from the corner of the penalty area just wide of the upright.


Pollok’s first real chance of the half came with less than 15 minutes to go, Winters pass to MacKenzie saw the latter hit the side netting from a tight angle.


Alert play from Tam Hanlon kicked off the ‘Lok’s next attack, his burst down the wing releasing Winters to tee up Sweeney, his first timer sailing above the crossbar.


Sweeney had the final opportunity to take this tie to a penalty decider, doing well to create some space for himself at the edge of the area, his shot being watched by McNeil as it went over.




Pollok:- Longmuir, Hanlon, McAleenan, Gallacher, McCabe, Frye, McLennan (12: Walker 60), Sweeney, Winters, MacKenzie, Hepburn


Subs not used:- 14: Wild, 15: Bradley, 16: Williamson, Gk: Ward


Goal: MacKenzie (45)


Bookings:- Frye (55), Hanlon (82), McCabe (84)


Petershill:- McNeil, McGhee, Brown (17: Cross 79), Kennedy, Brough, Stevenson, McAnespie, F. Chisholm (16: McLean 58), McGladrigan, J. Chisholm, Daly


Subs not used:- 12: Craig, 14: Davidson, 15: Daw 


Goals:- Daly (25), McGladrigan (35)


Bookings:- F. Chisholm (16), McAnespie (54), J. Chisholm (59)