St. Anthony’s 0-4 Pollok

Sectional League Cup

McKenna Park, Saturday 15th August 2015


A hat-trick from summer signing Mark Sideserf inched Pollok closer to a Sectional League Cup quarter-final berth as the ‘Lok cruised to a 4-0 win at McKenna Park over St. Anthony’s.


The first half proved to be somewhat of a tousy affair, the only chances of note created in the early stages being from the visitors’ Tam Hanlon. Initially he drove in a cross that was flicked behind for a corner by Ants’ James Ross, and from the resultant flag-kick Chris Walker headed over the bar.


The incumbent Pollok Player of the Season sent a long ball forward which put Ross under pressure, Allan MacKenzie stealing in, attempting to round homesters’ custodian Johnny Duncan, only to be denied by the goalkeeper’s legs.


Duncan was called into action again when Findlay Frye’s through ball found Davie Winters, the striker’s effort being palmed wide.


Frye himself then had a speculative effort that was an easy take for Duncan before the Ants’ backline was breached in the 31st minute. Sideserf’s late run to the back post went unchallenged, allowing him space to head home MacKenzie’s deep cross.


Pollok almost doubled their lead when skipper Paul Gallacher cut the ball back from the bye-line to Winters who placed a shot against the crossbar, Sideserf putting the rebound wide.


The final action of the opening period came when good play by Frye and Winters set MacKenzie up, the big striker again being thwarted by Duncan’s legs.


Sideserf had the first sighter of the second half when his 25 yarder dipped over the bar.


‘Lok doubled their lead in the 52nd minute, Winters challenge on Duncan in the Ants’ goal was deemed fair by referee Thomas Clark, last season’s top scorer subsequently rolling the ball into the net.


St. Anthony’s then had their best spell of the game as they looked to reduce arrears, Wullie Duncan setting up Craig Patterson, the Ants’ sub having his shot blocked by Walker.


Patterson made an intelligent run in behind Walker, alas his effort while stretching was an easy take for ‘Lok goalkeeper Jordan Longmuir.


The last chance of this Ants flurry came when Abou Mansare headed wide from a Graeme Crawford corner.


At the other end, the visitors struck the bar again, Walker heading a Colin Williamson corner off the woodwork, Hanlon’s follow up was comfortable for Johnny Duncan.


The result was effectively put beyond doubt in the 83rd minute, Kevin Bradley picking out Sideserf unmarked at the back post. He showed composure and clever footwork to round Duncan and finish.


Sideserf completed his hat-trick, and the afternoon’s scoring, in the 88th minute when Gallacher was tripped by Mansare in the penalty area. The ex-Irvine Meadow man sent Duncan the wrong way with his spot-kick to claim the match ball.




St. Anthony’s:- J. Duncan, O’Brien, Mansare, McDonald, Ross, Timoney, Crawford, Conway (15: Patterson 53), Loughlin, Miller, W. Duncan (12: Thomson 71)


Subs not used:- 14: McQuade, 16: Lennon, 17: Cumming


Bookings:- Timoney (7), Mansare (59)


Pollok:- Longmuir, Hanlon, Wild, Gallacher, Walker, Frye (16: Sweeney 82), Bradley, Williamson, Winters (14: Harkins 81), MacKenzie, Sideserf


Subs not used:- 12: McCabe, 15: McLennan, 17: McNeill


Goals:- Sideserf (31, 83, 88 pen), Winters (52)


Bookings:- Frye (61), Williamson (90 + 2)